Graduate Assistantships & Financial Assistance

There are several ways in which students may help finance their graduate education.

On this Page…

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate assistantships are frequently available for full-time students.  These will usually be in the Department of Political Science, but sometimes can be located in other academic units.  You may apply for an assistantship via the personal datasheet upon application for admission to the MPA Program or by contacting the MPA director.  The deadline for applying for a graduate assistantship or an out of state tuition remission for a coming academic year is March 15th.

Work-Study & Loans

Financial aid applications for student loans and other programs, including the Federal Work-Study Program are available through ECU’s Office of Financial Aid. The Federal Work-Study Program is now open to graduate students.  This program can help one finance one’s education and does not require repayment. If you qualify for this program you can be employed by the department in a graduate assistant like capacity.


Scholarships are sometimes available for graduate studies. While no scholarship opportunities are currently available through the department, some students in the department have successfully been granted a $2,500 scholarship from The North Carolina city and County Management Association. The scholarship is offered annually for first-year students interested in a career in North Carolina local government.

Tuition Remission

Highly qualified out-of-state residents may also be awarded partial tuition remissions, thereby reducing tuition to the in-state level.