The MPA faculty are committed to helping students pursue meaningful career opportunities. Through the development of internship opportunities, networking with MPA graduates, and established working relationships with federal, state, and local government agencies, faculty assist students in identifying potential job opportunities. Approximately two-thirds of the program’s enrolled students work in the public sector and so provide faculty with additional contacts. In addition, the university’s Office of Cooperative Education and the Office of Career Services develop and identify numerous internship and job opportunities in federal, state, and local government agencies, as well as opportunities in nonprofit organizations.
Here are several useful web sites for employment opportunities after graduation:
- USAJobs.gov: This site is also maintained by the US Office of Personnel Management. For recent graduates with limited job experience, please fo to the specialized page for students and recent graduates.
- North Carolina City & County Managers Association (NCCCMA) is the principal organization for city and county managers in the state. Its web site also contains various internship and employment opportunities.
- International City Managers Association (ICMA) is the principal professional organization for city managers, both nationally and internationally. Its web site contains mostly employment opportunities.
- Fire Science: This site addresses various public safety and service career fields.
Illustrative Placements of our Graduates
Graduates of East Carolina’s MPA Program are working in positions with a number of governmental and non-governmental entities. Here are some examples.
- National Aeronautical and Space Administration (NASA)
- Department of the Navy Office of Personnel Management
- Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Defense Intelligence Agency
- Department of Transportation
- Rural Electric Administration
- Central Intelligence Agency (CIA)
- Government Accountability Office
- North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation
- Virginia Department of Transportation
- Office of Budget and Management
- Department of Environment and Natural Resources
- State Department of Human Health Services
- Community Insurance Office
- North Carolina Community College System
- NC Department of Transportation
- East Carolina University
- Beaufort Community College
- County, Town, and City Managers & Assistant Managers
- County Director of Social Services
- Environmental Health Specialist
- Police Officers and Chiefs
- County Health Director
- Public Affairs Officer
- City Planning Officials or Directors
Nonprofit and Private Sector Positions
- Research Triangle Institute
- Chowan Hospital Administrator
- Lenoir County Hospital, Personnel
- Chowan College, Development
- American Red Cross
- Embarq (Sprint)
- Pamlico Tar River Foundation
Internships & Fellowships
There are a number of opportunities for MPA students to continue their learning after completion of their degree and to gain valuable professional experience. These internships and fellowships often lead to full-time positions afterward. As announcements of these opportunities become available, the MPA director regularly emails all MPA students about them.
Presidential Management Fellowship (PMF)
This is the premier federal internship program and is highly selective. The PMF is a two-year paid internship program with the federal government. The PMF is designed to attract men and women of exceptional management potential who will receive special training in planning and managing public programs and policies to build excellence in the federal service. The program emphasizes a variety of career experiences, including the opportunity to serve in several different federal agencies. Highly qualified students are encouraged to apply to this program as they near the end of the MPA program. Applications for the PMF are taken only once a year, usually beginning about October 1st and only have a narrow time window. The MPA director must also nominate individuals interested in applying for the PMF for the program. If you are interested in this program, please consult with the MPA director before the application deadlines.
State and Local Government Internships and Fellowships
Many states and larger cities also have post-graduate internships and fellowships that lead to good employment opportunities. Among them are:
- New York State’s Public Management Institute Internships
- Loudon County, VA, Management Training Program
- Maryland Governor’s Policy Fellows Program
- The City of Phoenix, Arizona
Other Internships and Fellowships
Various other organizations also regularly advertise with MPA Programs about their post-graduate opportunities. Among them is the Governmental Accounting Standards Board which annually offers its Postgraduate Technical Assistant Program. This program is an excellent opportunity for students interested in the financial management aspects of public administration.
Additional Sources of Information
The following organizations maintain information about internships, fellowships, and jobs, some of which are open to post-graduates as well as pre-graduates.
Our accrediting body, National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration (NASPAA) maintains a site on which various internships are posted.
American Society for Public Administration (ASPA)
ASPA is the major association for public administration in the United States. Students are given a discount for membership.
North Carolina City & County Managers Association (NCCMA)
NCCCMA is the principal organization for city and county managers in the state. Its web site also contains various internship and employment opportunities.
International City Managers Association (ICMA)
ICMA is the principal professional organization for city managers, both nationally and internationally. Its web site contains mostly employment opportunities.