Out-of-State & International Students

ECU welcomes applications from outstanding out-of-state and international students.

The MPA Program does have access to several out-of-state remissions each year that it can award. These remissions reduce the tuition and fees due each term to the same rate as a North Carolina resident. A condition of these awards is that the student also be granted a full-time graduate assistantship.

Out-of-State Residents

The application process for residents of other states is the same as it is for North Carolina citizens.

Graduate School Processes & Procedures >

International Students

The Graduate School governs the admission process and requirements for international students.


(For international student applicants only)


To be considered for admission, international graduate applicants should submit the following items:

  • Application: International applicants may apply online but also are required to submit a paper application.
  • Application Fee
  • Transcripts: An official transcript, mark sheets, or documents with official seals should be provided from each college or university that you have previously attended. Such documents must indicate that at a minimum a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent has been awarded by an accredited college or university. The documents should be provided in your native language of issue as well as an official, notarized, or certified copy in English.
  • Two letters of recommendation, which must be sent directly to the Graduate School (Counselor education, library and information studies, the School of Music, the School of Social Work, and the EdD in educational leadership require three letters. Letters are not required for business administration, elementary education, health education, exercise and sport science, mathematics, physics, rehabilitation studies or science education)
  • English Proficiency: English proficiency is required of all international students whose native language is not English. A TOEFL score of 20 on each section for a total minimum score of 80, 550 (paper-based) or 213 (computer-based) or IELTS score of 6.5 is required to meet the language requirement. The school code for ECU is 5180. Official reports of standardized admissions test results must be sent directly to the Graduate School by the testing service (GRE or GMAT).
  • Official reports of standardized admissions test results must be sent directly to the Graduate School by the testing service (GRE or GMAT). ECU’s institutional code is 5180. ECU does not have departmental codes.
  • Financial information along with certified evidence of financial resources to cover educational costs and living expenses.

Contact Information for International Students

The Graduate School
131 Ragsdale Building
East Carolina University
Greenville, NC 27858

The Graduate School >

International Student Affairs & Support

The Office of International Affairs provides assistance, information and referrals to international students regarding financial, personal, cultural, and academic concerns. Advisors assist international students in maintaining their legal status while within the United States. This office also provides expert advice regarding United States immigration regulations and help with any problems that relate to visa status.

International Students info >